Monday, August 6, 2007

Response to My Immortal

Crying high school girls crowd my mind when I see these lyrics. So much pain, so much drama. I've tried to tell them that there's not a single boy in the entire school worth so many tears, but they don't hear me. Sadly enough, the pain is excruciating, and sometimes the reasons behind it are as well. Day after day, one of our pregnant 9th graders turned corners only to see her former boyfriend (and the father of her child) standing under the stairs kissing another girl. How much pain can one 14-year-old bear? But, I ask myself, why did she place herself in this situation in the first place? When I was in high school (I know, back in the day when we walked through the snow to school uphill both ways) most girls' romantic activities never went past kissing. I try to tell the kids, "If you save sex for later, you'll avoid endless heartache now," but they don't hear me. I've also mentioned (several times) that sex is not a recreational sport, but they don't hear me. I wonder if anyone else is preaching this gospel. Do their parents encourage them to wait? Do their church leaders? (do they have a church?) Does anyone see them? Does anyone care?

I feel like I am beating my head against the wall when I offer this kind of advice, but I keep trying. Maybe I can reach someone.

No comments: