Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chicken Sunday

I would love to live in a community like the one described in Chicken Sunday. In fact, I have lived in such a community. When I was a small child, my mom and I lived with her parents in Fairfield, a small community southeast of Dallas. The town only had about 3,000 residents, and my grandparents knew all of them. Their small country church was a wooden building with a tall steeple, almost hidden by the surrounding trees. Because I was with Nannie and Papa, everyone who knew them also knew me. We shopped in the little stores on the courthouse square, admired the beautiful hats in the milliner's window, and stopped to visit with neighbors on the courthouse lawn. It was an idyllic life, simple and peaceful. We often ate delicious fried chicken on Sundays and enjoyed fresh vegetables from my grandfather's "small" five-acre garden. We scrambled up just-gathered eggs for breakfast and lavished homemade butter and jam on our freshly baked biscuits. No one could possibly be a better cook than Nannie. I can still taste those melt-in-your mouth biscuits. Yummy........

No comments: