Monday, July 30, 2007

More on my name

In English, Sherry means darling (it comes from the French, cherie). It is also the name of a wine that comes from an area of Spain called Jerez. It's the number six--it has six letters and six is my favorite number (I've actually won a round of Trivial Pursuit with the number six). My name is a coral color, rich, with hints of red and orange and pink.

Sherry is the taste of sunshine and fresh peaches made into mouth-watering peach cobbler by my grandmother, Nannie, on the farm in Fairfield.

I don't know why my parents chose my name, they just liked it I suppose. The Lynne in the middle was to match the L's my parents had, Lee and Laverne.

My grandparents, Nannie and Papa, had the most profound influence in my life. They were salt-of-the-earth, decent, honest, hard-working people, who generously shared their abundance with family, friends, neighbors, and even strangers who came to the door. Papa, known in the community as a perfectly honest man, showed me how the value of good, hard work and the joy of a life well-lived.

Most people seem to see Sherry as a friendly, kind of bubbly name, and that works well for me, as I see myself as friendly and enthusiastic. At one time, I thought I would like to have a different name, but I can't really think of one that I like better, so I'll stick with what I have.

No comments: